paulm.com has been operating from a high-speed datacentre for a number of
years now. As a service I host other folks'
websites, mail, DNS, etc here too. The main benefits are personal
connection, highly customisable set-ups, and generally competitive
featureset for the money (comparable to having your own co-lo'ed machine).
(If you're interested in the technical aspects you can read more about that.)
Things that people like about being hosted here
- No pop-up/over/under/in-yer-face ads
- knowing the owner, direct response
- ability to run almost any service you can conceive so long as I
can set it up & it doesn't gobble tons of bandwidth
- not just mail, but web-administered mailing lists! (E.g. Surfside)
- hardcore anti-spam service
- ability to have bazaar-style negotiations on things; for
what you use, not what you don't
- flexible payment system (e.g. paypal)
- cheaper since presumably I don't have the overhead of running a
business. I have no intention of making money on this, just being
able to afford it and continue a cool service to friends and
keeping my own ultra-hacked & tweaked playground online
- leading edge technologies available, including perhaps some things
you would get nowhere else, like access to a full Oracle &
- Multiple databases, with secure web access: MySQL, PostrgreSQL
(Oracle dev possible). Learn more
about database access.
- all sorts of wacky stuff with Apache, mail, LDAP, etc possible.
Check out some possible service ideas
- cheap domain registration & DNS: costs me about $15/yr with a
spam-free provider (bulkregister.com)
- potential for plenty of storage (120GB of striped strorage online on main
- I could be looking for co-sysops too, if you're a unix admin junky
perhaps there's some connection possible there
Basic things offered
- Web site, i.e. you transfer stuff to the machine then everyone
can see it
- DNS, i.e. the whole business of going from "paulm.com"
to the actual numerical address of my machine
- Mail, i.e. receiving and retrieving
- Unlimited email addresses by
- Low spam (email junkmail): I run a number of fairly aggressive anti-spam measures
which helps keep spam at bay.
- Stats on your site usage, e.g. paulm.com stats. Log files available
- Secure access: e.g. scp, sftp, rsync, ssh (where nec)
- CGI programs
It doesn't have to stop there, have a look at some other service ideas
Basic things requested
There's a general monthly donation of a tenner suggested. I use paypal (no payments with credit cards though, please! Paypal charge for it) and Paul Makepeace's Amazon wish list.
I also would like a a link back from sites to here and
realprogrammers.com, E.g. a bit of text that says something like,
Hosted by <a href="http://paulm.com/">Paul Makepeace</a> @ <a
Plus minus your own artistic styles and wording :-)
Sound interesting? Want to get set up?