|Paul Makepeace > Inchoate > 2004 > 10 > Movable Type Url Redirection
news - contact - search
Movable Type 2.661 has a "feature" that shrouds an author's URL behind a redirect in the hopes of reducing the google-juicing effect of comment spammers being linked to during their nefarious activities.
There are several problems with this, see this excellent breakdown. Most importantly, any halfway competent MT installation will have some software to manage the comment spam, like MT-Blacklist. So the whole annoying redirect "feature" is redundant when you have no comment spam.
But there's no way to turn it off in 2.661, and I haven't found a patch for it, so I have just written one which also corrects a few bugs I found in
* Turns off URL redirection by default (do a Rebuild to pick up changes)
* To turn it back on add the
* If you do want redirection, the anchor contains a
title attribute so you can mouseover it and at least see where you're going
* Known bug in 2.661 (in fact due to the URL redirection!) where during a comment preview an error appears,
MT::App::Comments=HASH(0xdeadbeef) Use of uninitialized value in sprintf at lib/MT/Template/Context.pm line 1187.
I was seriously tempted to make the
show_email default to
0. You may like to do this. It's quite obvious where this is in the code.
If you wanna look leet, roll your installation's version number in
PS It's quite late at night and this code isn't heavily tested. Seems to work though...Posted by Paul Makepeace at October 4, 2004 01:24 | TrackBack