November 25, 2007
Posted in: Gadgets
I got one of these little vibrating ring doodads and can concur with these reviews that's it's bloody great. There are two problems though. First of all it's €10+ in the Rip-off of Ireland. Compare that with $22 for 6 in the US! And the second is that it's intended to be disposable (20mins of use). The second problem wouldn't be a problem if they were on sale for an American style €2.40 each.
So being the gadgety skinflint that I am, what follows is how to disassemble it and replace the batteries with more powerful ones...
- Wash it :-)
- Pop the device out by squeezing it through the switch hole,
- I took a very sharp unserrated steak knife and sliced into one end,
- Then I took a a thicker, sturdier knife and widened the gap,
- I flipped back to the skinny knife and extended the gap gutting it like a fish,
- The skinny knife still in there I brought in the second knife and opened them like scissors popping the device open,
I'd say the device is lightly glued together so there weren't little catches I could pop next time.
- So here it is: two little batteries, a motor with a semi-circle of metal, and a switch. Who would've thought?
- The battery says G3-A which turns out to be, according to this chart an LR41 aka 192, a 1.5V alkaline button cell. My geeky teenage years and stint working at Maplin put to good use: that battery is the same as a SR41 silver oxide and the SR41 is both higher capacity and higher voltage: more vibrations, and longer!
- Re-assemble. Because the device is sheathed in rubber I'm not worried about insulating it.
Posted by Paul Makepeace at November 25, 2007 22:31
Thank you for reminding us that tech geeks DO have fabulous sex.
you should post this on instructables.com
would you like to .... me?
Good show man, I'll try it out. But just a question, have u tested how much longer these new batteries last?
Type GB2414938 into the Google search engine to get the real skinny on this little marvel!!!
I would hav borght 1 2day.im glad i did
bravo care,bravo majtore...
pozdrav iz srbije brale !!!
Poz jos jednom iz Srbije.
Tooooo mi kazi, a ne da lopovioma placam harac!!!
This device is fitted with a MicroSnap 1.0 engine running at 10.000 RPM. Interestingly yours is green, indicating a 1.6 engine (16.000 RPM).
I've ordered a 2.6 engine (26.000 RPM) and will fit it in the vibrator. You can get it for a 3 Euro at the German online store: http://www.tomica.de/OSC/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_25&products_id=73. It's the engine of very small RC cars!!
I expect mine to arrive tomorrow and I'll let you know what it went!
excellent mate! happy new year! i'll try that ;)
tx from my lovers too
Anyone try the motor change thing? Could they explain how to replace it and whatnot, don't want to order the motor if it doesnt fit..
More importantly, does it still work then?
Thanks for the tutorial. I searched for batteries everywhere, but couldn't find some. Could you pls tell me the exact name of the batteries (the long lasting ones), so I can buy some from the internet, please?
Thanks a ton man,,
your are a hero........
thanks for saving our$$$ :P
would this work with the durex focus?
did the replacment batteries work? and would tape hold the two piece togeather?